Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

I live in NW Ontario with my 4 daughters and 2 cocker spaniels. Quilting is a major passion of mine both piecing and longarm machine quilting. I love scrap quilting and have been working on busting stash for a few years now.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

My ism

The other night I was telling a friend of mine about my fabric buying habit. I had calculated what I thought (at the rate I'm going) what I might spend on my habit this year...ouch. Thats when she said oh thats your ism as in my addiction. Which I admit is true, but its an ism that doesn't really hurt anyone and does help out the local quilt shop as well as a few online shops too. My daughters never complain or question my need for more fabric and they love getting new quilts.
Two years ago, I decided that I couldn't buy anymore fabric until I busted a signifigant amount of my stash and got the rest under control. I made several scrap quilts that I love and when my longarm arrived a year ago I had tops to practice on. I give alot of credit to getting my habit somewhat under control to Bonnie Hunter, her site is a great place for others who have my ism and need to get it under abit of control.







So was there a cure? Well I still have a wonderful stash and there are still pieces in it that make me wonder what I was thinking when I bought it, but those are the pieces that make scrap quilts interesting. I feel like my stash is under my control now and I've learnt how to use it. So....

A year ago last March I ended my no buy rule when I saw the Seaside Rose collection and the Summer Wind Pattern to go with it. I went on a binge with that collection, something I've never done before (buying a collection) but I love the quilts that I've made and they are fun to show at guild to showcase my quilting.


The next collection I saw and loved was Wuthering Heights, I started off with the charm packs and made the charm quilt from the pattern from thefatquartershop.com while shopping there I saw the Elizabeth pattern and fell in love with it so after a couple of months thinking about it I ordered the kit (another first) its still a work in progress.
I've had fun with these collections and I'm now in a club getting a new kit/collection every month. Not something I'll do every year but for now its fun and managable and I will be willing to part with some finished quilts by the end of the year if anyone wants to buy one.
My love of scrap quilting hasn't left me, I'm still working on a couple as leader ender projects or just for when I need to relax and chain piece.
My work as a Longarm Quilter keeps me busy working on other peoples quilts but also thankfully enables me to finish my own tops.

1 Comments:

Blogger Patty said...

I saw that wuthering heights collection and wanted it very badly, but mustered up all the self control I could find and walked out the store without it. However, I did not walk out of the store empty handed !

8:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home